• 1 onion, peeled and chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
• 1x 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 1x 400g can black beans, drained and washed
• ½ x 400g can red kidney beans, drained and washed
• 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons tomato puree
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
• Pinch of ground cumin
• Pinch of smoked paprika
• Pinch of chilli flakes
• Olive oil
• Salt and pepper
Place a thick bottomed pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once warm, add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft.
Once soft, add the spices and tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes before adding the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, chilli flakes and a pinch of pepper.
Bring the whole thing to the boil, before reducing the temperature and leaving to simmer for 25-30 minutes until thick and delicious.
Once cooked, taste and add any more salt or pepper needed before serving.