Feed your gut with the things it enjoysThink about colour, diversity, plant-based foods and fermented foods when you do your food shop. Eat with your microbes in mind…
- Keep the skins on fruit and vegetables – it’s where most of the fibre is. Remember fresh, frozen, dried or tinned (in juice/water) count!
- Bulk out spaghetti bolognaise with lentils, make meatballs with 50% oats, and load up on different beans with chilli con carne.
- Have gut snacks to hand – mixed nuts, lentil crisps, sliced apple and peanut butter or carrots with hummus.
Give your gut consistencyEach of your gut microbes, and there are trillions, have their own body clock…
- Try and be consistent with your sleeping patterns i.e., going to bed and waking up at a similar time.
- Make sure your room is cool at night, it will mimic the drop in body temperature and encourage a good night’s sleep.
- Avoid screen time before bed, dim the lights, read a book, and do some deep breathing exercises.
Expose your gut to new thingsMaximise the diversity of your gut microbiome by exposing it to new things…
- Get out in nature and play in the dirt.
- Spend time with pets and animals.
- Try relaxation techniques such as mindfulness or yoga.
Right, we’re off to take a walk in the fields at Symprove HQ.
Hungry for more, dig into 21 positive gut-health habits.