Feed your gut with the things it enjoys
Think about colour, diversity, plant-based foods and fermented foods when you do your food shop…
- Keep the skins on fruit and vegetables – it’s where most of the fibre is. Remember fresh, frozen, dried or tinned (in juice/water) count!
- Bulk out spaghetti bolognaise with lentils, make meatballs with 50% oats, and load up on different beans with chilli con carne.
- Have gut snacks to hand – mixed nuts, lentil crisps, sliced apple and peanut butter or carrots with hummus.
Give your gut consistency
Each of your gut microbes, and there are trillions, have their own body clock…
- Try and be consistent with your sleeping patterns i.e., going to bed and waking up at a similar time.
- Make sure your room is cool at night, it will mimic the drop in body temperature and encourage a good night’s sleep.
- Avoid screen time before bed, dim the lights, read a book, and do some deep breathing exercises.
Expose your gut to new things
Maximise the diversity of your gut microbiome by exposing it to new things…
- Get out in nature and play in the dirt.
- Spend time with pets and animals.
- Try relaxation techniques such as mindfulness or yoga.
Right, we’re off to take a walk in the fields at Symprove HQ.
Still after more, read our 21 Positive Gut Health Habits.