A picnic-perfect treat that is great straight from oven to table, as well as sliced up from the fridge cold at a later date. Using summery vegetables and roasting them simply in a tray brings the flavour levels out, and they also add that all-important colour to your plate.
Do be flexible about the vegetables you use; a red onion or even sliced fennel would be delicious additions to the roasting tray, or some shredded cavolo nero or spinach can be added to the eggs as they are tipped over.
1 courgette, sliced
1 red pepper, roughly sliced
200g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 leek, sliced
250g baby new potatoes, parboiled
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp caraway seeds
100g parmesan, grated
1. Heat oven to 220 degrees.
2. Tip all the chopped vegetables into a lined baking tray, approx. 12” by 8”, pour over the olive oil, some salt and the caraway seeds and using your hands mix well so that everything is coated. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
3. Whisk the eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper, add ¾ of the parmesan and mix together.
4. Remove the vegetable tray from the oven, flipping the veg over, then pour the egg mixture over the top. Add the remaining parmesan.
5. Place in oven for about 15 minutes, until starting to look golden and puffed up on top, but with a slight movement in the middle still.
6. Serve with a simple green salad, or as part of a picnic feast.