Gastroenterology Dietitian Dr Sammie Gill has shared her top 10 Christmas swaps to help up those plant points and increase diversity to give your microbiome a boost this festive season.
10 Christmas swaps your gut bugs will love
1. Choose wholegrain crackers instead of cream crackers when bringing out the cheeseboard. Pair with slices of apple and grapes for extra diversity!
2. Swap out plain Brussel sprouts for cranberry-pecan Brussel sprouts – more food for your gut microbes!
3. Instead of regular sage and onion stuffing, try a festive fruit and nut stuffing containing dried prunes, apricots, cranberries, walnuts and hazelnuts...
4. Go for skin-on roasties instead of peeled - your gut microbes will appreciate the extra fibre!
5. Choose a three green mix (e.g. spinach, green beans, and kale) for your Christmas dinner instead of just one.
6. Swap out a handful of crisps for a handful of mixed nuts or popcorn.
7. Try chocolate-dipped fruit (strawberries, raspberries, banana) instead of opening a box of chocolates.
8. Go for a glass of red wine instead of white wine – your microbes will get a bigger polyphenol boost (remember, everything in moderation!)
9. Choose broccoli and cauliflower cheese instead of just cauliflower cheese.
10. Swap television time for a countryside Christmas walk for an extra dose of microbes!
Looking for more festive tips to help your gut thrive this Christmas? Dietitian Laura Tilt explains why maintaining some of your daily routine over Christmas can be a positive thing for your mind, body and gut.